Sunday, March 22, 2009

R.I.P. Little Bird

I just have to share this story from yesterday:

Carter and I went out to get the mail from the mailbox. On our way there, we found (to our dismay) a "little bird" dead in our driveway. Carter thought we had run over it on our way into the driveway earlier and began to go into a state of panic. I assured him over and over again that we had not run it over, and he started to calm. And then he started to cry. I know I am his mother, and therefore, I think he is the most amazing child, but really, he is the most sensitive and compassionate little boy I have ever seen.

Then he wondered how he went to heaven if his 'lil bird body was lying in our driveway. I tried (my very best) to explain to him The Ressurection and The Plan of Salvation. Not an easy task to convey this incredible plan to a 4-year old. As we talked about it, he began to brighten and you could see the gloom leave his face. We went in the house and found the best box we could find (a Nordstrom box) and we carefully shoveled it up and put it in the box. We went to the garbage can, said a few words, and dropped the bird in the can.

I don't think Carter has thought about this event again. But, I keep thinking how grateful I am to have such a sweet, tender-hearted Carter in my life. Little experiences like this everyday make me realize he is a special spirit destined for great things in this world. And how lucky am I to be able to (hopefully) help shape and mold him into that incredible person who will, I am sure, contribute so much to society.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet in a morbid kind of way. Honestly...how did you explain the plan of salvation to a 4 year old?

Darcie said...

Carly, yes, this is the most tender story... but it's also hilarious! Boy, that bird went out in style... in a Nordstrom box.

Thanks for sharing, this made my night.

Christine Anne & Michael Jon said...

Car, love the visual impression of this tender moment. You are such a wonderful, amazing Mom. I don't know how you do it all!